The best seat to catch my drama

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Beginning of the Semester

Because it appears that I’m incapable of maintaining a paper journal anymore, here goes.

I restrung my guitar a couple of days ago, and last night, I pulled it out and played some camp songs.  It’s alarming how many camp memories come flooding back – opening on picnic hill, how humid and sweaty it was; chapel my first summer, playing with TB and AB; serenades with stars and fireflies…it was a nice way to end the day.

LP, AC, JB, and I went to see The Pursuit of Happyness last night.  What a great movie to see in the midst of worrying about the future stress.  I’m so lucky.  I have friends who would put me up if I ever couldn’t make rent.  I have parents who would (theoretically, though I’m never trying it) take me in if I hit bottom.  I have…well, I have a comfortable life and a nice social network.  Excellent movie, though.  Excellent.  And Tuesday night movie night was surprisingly fun.  

Continuing Saga 1 [getting a job]:

At this point, I have no idea what I want to do “when I grow up”… err, after May.  I want to do something fun and constantly challenging – I really don’t feel fulfilled unless there’s a challenge.  Parts of me want to do something corporate, but I don’t know if that would be fun as much as fodder for thought.  I mean, really, working in an office would so much be all about studying the people I was working with.  You know, after I do my work.  I think I need something stable.  I wish I could be like BEQ and go wild with the travel – teaching in France, randomly traveling eastern Europe and north Africa – but I feel the tug of financial responsibility.  It would be really nice if I could get a PMF somewhere really fun that had that travel.  Or if I could get into the foreign service, I would have so many cool opportunities…  And the benefit of both of those is that they’re both paired with classes and “education”, so I could keep schooled.  

But what if I did something less conventional?  What if I found a job that didn’t have an office?  What if I found brilliant, fun, enjoyable employment somewhere I’m not looking?  I guess it’s all about getting over my fear of writing cover letters and just getting out there.

Continuing Saga 2 [writing the thesis]:

At this point, I have about 14 hours of interviews to still write up.  Then code.  Then start thinking about.  I think that’s probably something I need to finish for Friday, so I can have the weekend to do reading and start framing my analysis.  And then time to get more interviews…  Another thing I have to put myself out there for.  BUT I’ll shoot for Monday for hitting up everyone I know/every listserv I know/every posting board I know for interviews.  I neeeeeeed to get all this data done by February.  

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I may use qualifiers too much, but you use too many acronyms! ;-)

3:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home